Monday, June 25, 2012

Winner, Winner, Icelandic Dinner

The other day we had dinner at the research station and were served authentic hangikjot, lamb smoked with sheep dung.  The lamb was purchased locally and was a two-year old castrated ram, we were informed (just in case anyone was curious).  The hangikjot was .... significantly more pungent than the hangikjot sandwich meat we purchased at the grocery store.  We were also served potatoes in a white sauce, red cabbage, and a drink typically served with hangikjot which was Fanta mixed with malt extract (it was surprisingly good!).  It was great to eat an authentic Icelandic meal!

Another thing that is great is winning. Several weeks previous, I had been handed an entry form for a drawing contest hosted by the Green Cross, an organization headed by the research station manager's ten year old daughter and her friends.  The Green Cross is like the Red Cross but for the environment. 


Using my extensive knowledge of things 10 year old girls like and things that I loved to draw at age 10 and have since gotten pretty good at, I chose my subject matter wisely:


After dinner, the drawings were all awarded points from 1 to 13, with 13 being the highest, Eurovision style.  With much pomp and circumstance for each of the 13 entries, I was announced as the overall winner!  I was greatly honored, and would like to thank Mark Kistler of the Imagination Station, whose PBS show I loved with a passion as a kid, and also my boyfriend for sending me colored pencils.

My prize!

No comments:

Post a Comment