Saturday, June 30, 2012

Whale Watching, or Alex is a complete land lubber

One of these days I need to learn that I should really just stop going out on the ocean.

My problems with motion sickness started at age one when I threw up on an airplane.  Later in life, around 3 years old, I had problems with looking at picture books in the car.  Since then I have become motion sick on carnival rides, IMAX movies, the Mississippi, an elephant, and on a whale watching tour in spectacular fashion.  That was in Maine, when I was maybe 10.  My whole family went out to see some whales and ended up being on this boat in the fog for four hours while Captain Ahab (as we affectionately dubbed him) kept us out long beyond the schedule tour time because the company had to refund our tickets if we didn't see a whale.  The weather was not good at all, and the majority of people on that boat were sick.  I remember clutching a paper bag the entire trip and using it several times until we finally saw the back of a whale and went home.


Neither I nor anyone in my family has been whale watching since that trip, but Iceland is a fantastic place to go whale watching, and my family wanted me to check it out and make sure it wasn't as horrible as that last trip before they come to visit in August.  I was really excited to see some whales, and I brought along quite a bit of dramamine, so I thought I'd be okay.  The way out from the harbor was fun! We saw lots of gulls and terns and also some puffins!

Picture by Patrick
Puffins are awesome.  Besides being adorable and funny-looking, they can dive up to 70 meters and drink saltwater.  Who knew such an awkward bird could be so cool underwater?

But the farther out we went, the more the motion got to me.  In case you were wondering, the non-drowsy formula of dramamine did not work, at least for me.  I made the questionable decision to take two additional real-formula dramamine and moved to the back of the boat where the guide had said there would be less motion.  A few minutes later, a whale was spotted!  We saw four humpback whales pretty up close!

Picture by Patrick
At that point, however, I was less interested in whales and more interested in not losing my lunch.  I did not succeed.  Our guide had given very specific instructions before we left harbor that if we had to upchuck, we should do it over the side, not the bathroom, since he had to clean that.  I made use of the side of the boat.  Twice.  Even though it was really cool to see whales, I did not have an enjoyable experience.  It didn't help that we got soaked on the way back, especially during my second vomit.  It's not easy to dodge waves when you're emptying the contents of your stomach over the railing.  The Arctic Ocean is as cold as it sounds.  But they had jumpers for us to wear, so only my feet and head got really wet (also, the fly on my jumper was not waterproof, so I came out looking like I wet my pants). And I couldn't even have my complementary hot chocolate and cinnamon roll.

In short, I would recommend the whale watching if and only if you know your stomach can handle boats well.  But personally, I was the first person off that boat, and will not be doing that again.

Also, thanks to Patrick for his pictures, as I was in no state to take any.

1 comment:

  1. Auw hugs! I am a fellow motion sickness suffer-er and I found that out while on out on a catamaran for 3 days in the Whitsundays in Australia. Yeah... THREE DAYS. ouch.

    Glad you at least got to see some whales!

    ReplyDelete