Tuesday, June 5, 2012

This is what I woke up to this morning.




Yesterday it was a gorgeous sunny day and I could get away with wearing a t-shirt.  Today, it's switching between snow and freezing rain and I wore multiple jackets and my long underwear.  Today was also the day we had to check the Myvatn transects - poles with cups of liquid at the top to catch midges, sticky cards for flying insects, and a cup of liquid buried in the ground to catch walking arthropods, placed at various distances from the lake and in different landscapes.  I'm sorry to report that, except for a sunny break at lunch time, it only got colder, wetter and windier throughout the day, and it took us until dinner time to get them all done.  After a hot shower I'm feeling much warmer!  I'm going to go ahead and rank leaving my clothes on the radiator during my shower one of my top ten best ideas ever.

But this did give us the opportunity to drive all the way around the lake and see some dramatic scenery!

Fresh snow on the mountains

Distant rain showers

An awesome lava field - you could still see ripples on it 
Tonight we're probably going to go back to the research station and start counting up our samples.  I'm ok with this as long as I'm not required to change out of my sweatpants.

No comments:

Post a Comment