Thursday, May 24, 2012

I've arrived in Myvatn and would love to share lots of gorgeous pictures with you!  However... our luggage is apparently still in Toronto, including the cord that connects my camera to my computer.  Luckily I followed my mom's advice (thanks!) and packed a change of clothes and a toothbrush in my carry on, but we were told our stuff wouldn't arrive until Saturday at the earliest.  Great.

BUT Iceland is a beautiful country!  After over 24 hours of travel, we arrived at Akureyri, where we had lunch at the Blaue Kanne, a cafe named after a distinctive blue teapot, and then drove the rest of the way to Myvatn.  Akureyri is a pretty little coastal town and also where we will get all our groceries; it's a little over an hour away.  We also stopped at Godafoss, a big famous waterfall.  Which I have tons of pictures of.  And no way to show them to you.  I also have pictures of our farmhouse, including the sheep outside of my window, and the collection of gnomes peering at us from outside the kitchen, and of the lake, which is mere feet from the house. 

So far plans tonight include visiting the research station, possibly seeing some newborn lambs, and watching Eurovision, which is apparently a big deal around here.  As soon as my bags get here I will flood this blog with pictures.  Until then, imagine Iceland is like Mars with more moss, or Hawaii minus the jungle, or Rohan of Lord of the Rings plus volcanoes.

2 comments:

  1. BOO to no luggage! I had that happen to me when I went to Australia. Did you get travel insurance? They might be able to reimburse you if you need to buy necessities.
    Happy TV watching & I hope your luggage comes sooner rather than later ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Hopefully I won't need to buy anything, as long as it gets here soon. I'm borrowing other people's stuff pretty heavily.

      Delete